Calling a local roofer San Antonio hosts for a new roofing project can be a real pain if you haven’t done it much before. Moreover, roofing contractors actually have their own jargon and unique terms. So, if oyu don’t know much about them, you might find yourself in difficulty, even when it comes to just understanding the estimate they provide you with.
Now, you don’t have to know all the roofing terms to understand the essence of what the roofers are talking about most of the time. The following terms should suffice:
· The deck or sheathing is usually referred to as the board of plywood or OSB on which all the other roofing materials are applied.
· The underlayment is a secondary protective layer that goes on top of the deck.
· The flashing is a piece of metal or other sealing material used to seal areas where water could normally make its way to the deck, if it rained.
· While speaking about the roofing costs of repairing or replacing your roof, you might encounter the word “square” which refers to a measurement of a 10 x 10 feet (100 square feet) area.
· Finally, if your roofer talks about “penetrations,” you should know they mean any types of installations that penetrate the roof (such as vents, stacks or pipes.